Friday, June 1, 2007

Hong Kong Heat Wave

Well not much has changed since I last posted here... still living to work as opposed to working to live :( Just got back from a week-long trip to Hong Kong. It was a really interesting trip and I got to see the 'outside of work' side of two very senior traders who I work with on a daily basis. If you ever get the chance to go to Hong Kong you should jump at it... it's an amazing city with so much to see, do and eat!! I will just give a brief run through of the highlights of my trip... then outline the dos and don'ts of going to HK.

So it all started on a Sunday afternoon when I rocked up to Narita (you know, that lovely airport which services Tokyo but just happens to be 3 days journey out of town). I made my way through ticketing and customs to the Cathay Lounge where I bumped into an old friend (overtly gay) who works at a rival bank and who I hadn't seen in ages. We were having a good old chat about all things that drive us inane (so yes, a conversation mostly about work) when one of the senior traders came long. He introduced himself to my mate, after which he proceeded to eye me over in a very strange way... made me wonder what he was getting at. Anyway, later on the plane he revealed the reason behind his look... you are not talking to [INSERT BANK NAME HERE WHO TRIED TO POACH ME IN FEB] again are you? Phew... I thought he was going to ask something else ;) Told him I was just getting some insider info (which I had indeed done) and put that one to sleep.

Now for HK... arrived and shot through Customs in no time... then proceeded in style to the new Mandarin... what a fantastic hotel!! Checked in, showered, changed and head out on the town with the rest of the crew. Had an awesome time aside from the preemption of the hang over I would have the next day. Woke up next morning at 4am... sure enough head pounding and not wanting to do much. Breakfast arrived at 4:30am along with three Tylenol to help get me off to work. Went to the HK office and met all of my colleagues, and then embarked on a day of meeting clients. Was an awesome day... getting the chance to see how business is done in another country (i.e. NOT Japan - yay!) was a lot of fun... we were received well and for just a moment I was able to feel proud about the amazing brand I work for and almost forget how I am enslaved in a financial sweat shop ;)

Anyway... the next 3 days were pretty much the same, so not going to bore you with the details. On to the fun stuff... each night the crew and I had the chance to eat at some amazing places... of course there was Chinese, but also lot's of other stuff like Brazilian and Spanish - YUMMY! But even better than the food was the wine... awesome stuff - a much better range than what I am used to in Japan. Better than all of this though, was the time I got to spend with the senior traders. I'm not one to be scared of people at work (it's usually the other way around) and I am by no means scared of these guys... but there has always been a tangible barrier here. Well not anymore! Absolute great bunch of guys and am confident I can go back to work and join them for drinks (leaving all the other scaredy cats to do even more overtime than me).

Finally about HK:

Good points...
- food is AMAZING (had Chinese, Italian, Brazilian, Spanish and more Chinese... YUMMY!!)
- bars are very relaxed but also classy (and they mix a MEAN mojito!)
- the view of HK island is amazing... such an organic city in term of it's growth and shape (does that make sense?)
- the people are very friendly and professional
- there is plenty of cultural stuff to see and do... and lots not in the guidebook to ensure a day of just getting lost will be a lot of fun
- the shopping is amazing

Not so good points... (have to be careful here as I have a lot of friends from HK)
- you are very lucky if you get to see the abovementioned view through the 364 days of smog that seem to overrun the city
- it is so damn hot and sweaty, and the smog sticks to you and makes you dirty (stay inside!!)
- people need to take lessons in lining up and not pushing in (this one drove me crazy, but I learned fast that I can just go to the front an no ones says anything)
- the credit card debt after you get home from the amazing shopping (not looking forward to that at all)

So overall a very fun and productive trip... as said, if you ever get the chance definitely go and see it.

Time for bed... work in just over 4 hours :)

No comments: